Sunday, January 8, 2012

Weekend Update: Bedrooms on a Budget

Thinking back on this weekend I'm trying to remember things of significance I did, but oddly I'm having trouble. Ha! Maybe that's because I didn't.  The past few weeks have been pretty busy and it was nice to have an uber-relaxing few days.  Yesterday I stayed in my pajama's until noon, oh and did I mention I slept for 11 hours on Friday night.  I know, I'm cool.  I watched not 1, but 2 movies this weekend and previewed The Hunger Games trailer an unmentionable amount of times.  Sigh, is it 3.23.12 yet? Just kidding, because there is a lot to look forward to in the coming months.  

I've decided to dedicate this weekend update post to more apartment pictures. While I'm sure you'd love to see pictures of my laying in bed watching Netflix, that's next week's post.  

Since living on my(our) own, I've loved each and every bit of decorating, hanging and inevitably taking down pictures, moving and then putting back knick-knacks.  Decorating is something I've loved for a long time and I'm quite pleased with our first little apartment.  I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do, but if you don't, well be happy you don't have to live in it!  

Here's a few tips I've learned since officially being "on my own.

-Budget.  If you're in a position like mine, you don't have unlimted funds to buy that $1000 rug from Anthro, as much as you think you should.  Make sure to scour places like Homegoods for Anthro like items.  The Anthro sale room is full of wonderful treats as well, but remember I've been collecting my odds and ends from there for some time.  

-Re-use, re-use, re-use! Now I realize not all families are like mine.  Not everyone's Grandmother has engraved spoons from the early 1900's (which yes, I do have).  Luckily for me though my grandmother, aunts, mother, and sister have all lived just enough longer than me that they are recycling old items out for new ones.  And hey, old is fine by me because I just call it vintage.  It's also really fun to have family items in your home.  And no sister, this was not a dig at your age, it's I'm just grateful for the things you've given me.

-Beware of clutter.  For someone like me who loves things, not one thing in particular, just things, it can be hard to edit.  While I've gotten a lot better as I've gotten older, it is important to edit your apartment.  I have so many decorations, pictures, and candles that I had to make sure not to put them all out. It tends to look crazy if there 3 lamps on one table, trust me.  

These are my words of wisdom for new apartment dwellers.  Good luck, and happy bargain hunting!

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha - I was definitely going to say, "No hand me downs from me are VINTAGE!" You beat me to it. Your apartment is looking cuter than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at your grown-up apartment! I love it! Can you come style my place?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz- Thanks!

    Julie- like minds...you get me?

    Kate- Thank! I would love to, email me for rates;)

    ReplyDelete